You are a lawyer with well-rounded experience enabling you to provide pragmatic legal and strategic support to Thalmic Labs. You are comfortable in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment and you thrive in this type of environment. Relating to people across a variety of backgrounds and functions is a strength of yours, and while you sweat the small stuff, you always keep the big picture in mind.
What you will do
- Provide in-house legal counsel to a fast-growing wearable technology company
- Develop a risk management program with a strong focus on regulatory compliance
- Draft and negotiate contracts with development and supply chain partners
- Develop policies, procedures, and practices to administer the company’s corporate legal affairs and regulatory compliance programs efficiently and effectively
- Support internal clients in the functional areas of (but not limited to) corporate, finance, commercial, employment, immigration, Mergers & Acquisitions, real estate, marketing, privacy, security, and manage regulatory compliance and litigation
- Maintain minute books and other corporate records for parent company and subsidiaries
- Manage outside counsel in multiple jurisdictions for corporate matters
- Ensure compliance in all areas of business and advise of business conduct and ethics
- Support future finance and related banking activities
- Responsible for keeping abreast of current legislative developments, particularly those that may have an impact upon company operations
- Reporting into the CFO and working closely with the management team
What you need:
- Law Degree from an accredited law school (LLB or Juris Doctor)
- Licensed by the Law Society of Upper Canada to practice law as a lawyer in Ontario
- 7+ years’ experience with a law firm or as in-house counsel with exposure to Contract, Employment, and Corporate Law
- Experience in cross-border issues and business
- Ability to persuade and motivate
- You like working in a dynamic, collaborative environment with smart, funny, and interesting people
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills to work across organizations and lead cross-functional teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills and leadership abilities
- Strong judgment, prioritization, and decision-making abilities
- Good conflict resolution and negotiating skills
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Bonus points for:
- Experience in tech
- Experience with a variety of product regulations in the US and Canada
- US licensed is also a plus
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.