You’re a mechanical designer who enjoys working on complex challenges with small, intricate parts and complex assembly processes. You love to collaborate with others, understand requirements, tackle problems, and work toward solutions in support of R&D and manufacturing goals.
What You Will Do:
Within 15 days you will:
- Gain familiarity with the current product and understand it within the context of existing fixtures and automation in use.
- Begin CAD design on a simple fixture to gain an understanding of our processes and development tools.
Within 30 days you will:
- Hold a preliminary fixture design review and begin to work with other teams to ensure the design meets requirements.
- Build all necessary procurement documentation (CAD models, drawings, BOM, RFQ, etc.).
- Build prototype of preliminary fixture and begin testing it with components.
From 30 days onward, you will:
- Tackle a larger, more complex fixture / automation design task or project.
- Collaborate with others to define requirements and develop concepts for the design.
- Hold regular concept and design reviews with key partners.
- Have a deep understanding of product and processes so feedback can be given to product development team for DFM and make suggestions for improving processes and tools.
What You Will Need:
- Engineering or technical degree
- Experience in mechanical automation design and/or fixture development
- Proficient in SolidWorks, 3D CAD design
- Working knowledge of GD&T, inspection drawings and CMM reports
- Understanding of precision mechanics and designing to tight tolerances
- Understanding of advanced manufacturing techniques
- Experience with pneumatics and electrical devices (sensors, stages, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team environment
Bonus Points For:
- Consumer electronics experience
- Previous work experience in a startup
- Launched a product
- Worked in wearables
- Experience with pneumatic schematics, machine vision, and robotics
- Knowledge of adhesives for bonding critical components
- Machine shop and assembly experience
- Manufacturing experience
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.