You're a software generalist who loves solving tough problems. You’re comfortable working with minimal requirements and will persevere through challenges to make forward progress. You have the experience and wisdom to know when an existing solution can be applied, but can reason from first principles and invent novel approaches when required. You are remarkably skilled in at least one software discipline (e.g. web, networking, embedded, systems, user interfaces, etc.), but are comfortable working on any software problem. You are excited to contribute to the next big leap forward in computing.
- Within three months
- Design, architect, and implement prototypes together with a larger research and development team
- Connect with domain experts are across the software organization and be able to seek help in working on things outside your own core expertise
- Apply your core expertise on one or more existing cross-functional research projects
- Collaborate with researchers from other disciplines (e.g. human-computer interaction, data science, machine learning, and electrical engineering)
- Rapidly deliver software solutions to unique and difficult engineering problems
- Find creative ways to leverage the advantages of our wearable platform and work around any limitations
- Be capable of answering questions from others on our processes, tools, and techniques
- Lead development of new software technologies for our wearable platform
- Make improvements to existing processes, tools, and techniques
- Work with production design and engineering teams to ensure research projects are successfully implemented in shipped products
- Invent novel software systems to enable the next generation of computing
- Mentor other software developers on the team and nurture a culture of generous excellence
What you need:
- Ability to start new projects from scratch and the will to end them if they fail
- An open and collaborative attitude with a focus on team success
- Experience designing software solutions for complex, multifaceted problems and systems
- Degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent (in lieu of degree, minimum four years of relevant work experience)
Bonus points for:
- Technical leadership experience on past software projects
- Experience working on a product that combines both software and hardware
- Proven ability to quickly learn new languages, frameworks, and platforms
- Relevant personal projects or open source work
- Proficiency with git
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.