You are passionate about solving real world problems for users in visually innovative and compelling ways. You bring experience in leading design thinking activities, systematically and collaboratively building a point of view that you can champion with ease. You willingly roll up your sleeves and contribute in a hands-on way, leveraging an exceptional eye for detail and a keen sense of design. Your track record of proven successes (and occasional failures) equip you with the insight needed to drive and elevate the practice of visual design at Thalmic. You are looking to make an impact and see wearable technology as the industry to do just that.
What you will do:
- Contribute to the overall vision and user strategy for Thalmic products, from concept exploration through implementation, working closely with other designers, product managers, marketing, and engineers, to bring simple, intuitive, and beautiful products to life.
- Lead and drive the initial creative process, working with other designers to build and champion a Design Language System for next-gen Thalmic products that span multiple platforms (wearable, mobile, and web).
- Drive visual direction from concept to ship, producing high-quality visuals in the form of mood boards, storyboards, interactive prototypes, design specifications, and production assets.
- Generate multiple concepts that fulfill product scenarios and present in the context of informal and formal reviews. Use data and best practices to advocate a strong point of view, while being open to feedback from other stakeholders.
- Create and maintain design standards, reference materials and style guides.
- Help drive schedule and direction for motion design deliverables, working with other designers to ensure quality and timeliness are met.
- Work closely with developers to ensure implementation adheres to design specifications and to resolve situations when technical capabilities and design needs do not align.
- Bring thought leadership within and outside of the UX team in the form of collaboration, feedback, mentoring, and an advocacy for user-centric design.
What you need:
- A strong portfolio demonstrating a diversity of experience and strong system-level thinking. It should cover the breadth of your design process, from ideation through to the final design, and clearly state your individual contribution to the project/product.
- BS/BA or Associates degree in graphic design, user interface design or equivalent.
- Industry experience covering a diverse range of products and platforms; consumer product experience is highly desired. You bring first-hand knowledge of what it takes to ship a product to market.
- An ability to think in visual systems patterns and styles that will create a unity in product experience while supporting a strong, clean visual identity.
- Equal passion and aptitude for contributing at the strategic level as well as the at the hands-on, detailed level.
- Exceptional graphic/visual design capabilities including typography, sketching, composition, layout, colour, iconography, and the presentation of information.
- Excellent communication skills. Must be able to communicate your ideas at all stages of the design process to a wide variety of audiences, understanding how to balance a strong point of view with an empathy for other perspectives and constraints.
- Strong understanding of user-centered design practices. Curiosity and a desire to understand the end user is a must.
- Passion for emerging technologies and a hunger to innovate.
- Strong, demonstrated proficiency in a variety of design tools such as Sketch, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Flinto, Invision, etc.
Bonus points for:
- Experience working in an Agile development environment.
- Experience in interaction design and/or motion graphics, including UX transitions and animations.
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.