You are a storyteller, weaving motion and movement into user interfaces to bring them to life in thoughtful, memorable, and engaging ways. You love the challenge of simplifying complexity and delighting users with the unexpected while defining new paradigms of user interactions and experiences. You are looking to make an impact and see wearable technology as the industry to do just that.
What you'll do:
Within 15 days:
- You’ll be working alongside our Motion Designer on ongoing design activities, contributing ideas, and helping to execute sprint deliverables in a timely manner
- You’ll understand how motion design has been integrated into the product design so far and get familiar with the tools and processes currently in place
- You’ll know our Design Language System like the back of your hand and begin to contribute to patterns, best practices, and motion systems that align with design tenets.
- You’ll actively collaborate with your UX team peers and the larger Product Experience team, helping to contribute ideas and feedback in the context of informal and formal reviews, design studios, and brainstorming activities
Within 30 days:
- You will take on on your first motion design deliverable, and lead it through from concept to execution
- You will have led informal and formal reviews with UX peers and other key stakeholders, including Product Managers and software developers. You will use data and best practices to advocate a strong point of view, while being open to feedback from team members
- You will have established great working relationships with the software team, and work closely with developers to ensure implementation of designs adhere to design specifications and to resolve situations where technical capabilities and design needs do not align
Within 90 days:
- You will actively help to evolve tools and processes for motion design at Thalmic, and help increase overall effectiveness and efficiency of the practice
- You will work in an increasingly cross-functional capacity, supporting motion design needs for teams such as Marketing and Retail
- You will contribute to UX thought leadership at Thalmic in the form of collaboration, feedback, mentoring, and an advocacy for user-centric design
What you need:
- A strong portfolio which demonstrates a diversity of experience and expertise in motion design for user interactions. It should cover the breadth of your design process from ideation through to the final design, and clearly state your individual contribution to the project/product
- Degree in graphic / motion design / animation or a related field
- Prior experience working on industry-leading consumer products; experience in wearables, AR, and/or VR highly desired
- A curated set of best practices for successful collaboration with UX designers, product managers, and software developers, using agile processes
- Expertise in principles of motion for user interface design and for multi-platform solutions
- A strong acumen for user experience design and how motion design influences UI and interaction design (and vice versa)
- Passion for emerging technologies and a hunger to innovate. Comfortable working in ambiguous conditions and able to adapt quickly
- Mastery of motion tools such as After Effects, Kite Compositor and 3D software (Maya, Cinema 4D, etc.)
- Proficient with industry-standard tools (Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop)
Bonus points for:
- Experience writing your own After Effects expressions and scripts
- Visual design experience for web, mobile, and/or desktop interfaces
- Experience creating interactive prototypes using tools such as Flinto, Principle, InVision, Framer, Origami, etc.
- Experience conducting user research and analyzing research data
- Videography and editing experience
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Spark Capital and Intel Capital.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, such as Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.
Day-to-day, we encourage unconventional thinking, thrive on great communication and debate, and know how to move quickly. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning and improvement. Most of all, we set high standards and ambitious goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products.