The Product team seeks an innovative, highly motivated and experienced researcher to lead our user research. You are passionate about building great product experiences that delight users. You will be responsible for driving a research strategy and implementing it with your team, possibly inventing some new research techniques along the way.
You have a deep understanding of user research methods and best practices, and experience coaching a research team to inform product development. User research will need to keep pace with the rapid innovation in the product teams as they continually iterate. Along the way, you will also find time to step back and ask the big questions that help us focus on the most pertinent areas of research to influence the development of a great product.
What You’ll Do:
- Within 30 days:
- You have immersed yourself in the product have identified key priorities and areas of research focus to help make the product successful.
- You are working closely and collaboratively with product managers, designers, and engineers to understand and guide the team’s research needs.
- You are running research studies end-to-end, across study design, recruitment, moderation, analysis, and reporting.
- Within 60 days:
- You have defined a comprehensive user research roadmap that aligns with the product roadmap, and draws on multiple types of concurrent user research that spans across foundational, generative and evaluative work.
- You have reviewed the existing processes and practices of the research team, and are taking steps to ensure the team employs best practices for user research in a way that meet the needs of the organization.
- You are leading the research team to deliver high quality research studies that inform product development and are in line with the practices you have set out.
- Within 90 days:
- You have made a measurable impact to the effectiveness of user research through your leadership of the research team, and your advocacy for user-centric design across the organization.
- Your team is delivering research output that instills an understanding and empathy for our customers across the entire organization.
What You Need:
- BS or MS in a related discipline
- At least six years’ of work experience in a user research or research-related role, and at least two years leading a research team within a product organization
- A strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience, deliverables, and the ability to design and deliver research studies that provide meaningful and actionable insights
- Demonstrated skill and creativity for selecting the right mix of methods to research questions and business goals, and resourcefulness to invent new methods when the right method does not exist
- Deep product research experience in consumer technology lifestyle products
- Obsession for the customer experience. You never settle for good enough, and continually inspire those around you to do better for the customer
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Eagerness to continually learn, grow and improve the craft of research
- Strong grasp of quantitative data analysis and statistics
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech